Mental health concerns are gradually becoming more and more of a societal problem. There has been a drastic increases in mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression. This could be due to a wide variety of factors, such as increased emphasis on perfection in grades, stressful personal life events, or simply genetics. While these are more prevalent in our society, there is still a negative stigma surrounding mental illness, which seems extremely counterproductive. Depression and anxiety can be addressed in our classrooms by simply having the difficult discussion and by offering support and coping mechanisms, but it is equally as important that we do not discredit their struggle by saying their struggle can be easily solved through maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Acknowledge the fact that it is never easy and it will never be a linear progression to improvement. Be patient and supportive
Hannah Nurse Hello! My name is Hannah Nurse and I am from Buffalo, New York. I am a sophomore in the Health and Physical Education major with concentration in School Wellness Education at Slippery Rock University. I am on the SRU Field Hockey Team and have been playing field hockey since I was in 5th Grade. I am hoping to one day be a Health and Physical Education Professor with a side job as a high school field hockey coach.
Comments
Post a Comment